5 Steps to Verify if Windows is Genuine or CrackedMayleen Meñez
Despite the emergence of productivity tools like GSuite, Office 365 tools continue to dominate the market today. The same is true for Windows Operating Systems. Despite other operating systems like iOS and Linux and Android, Windows still dominates as an Operating System for individual users to enterprises.
We all had to buy and install a physical copy and enter the serial key or purchase the activation key if our new computer was pre-installed with a Windows Operating System.
Should we choose not to activate your installed Windows OS, let’s say that the user experience was a bit more of a discomfort. There were conditions set where as long as the Operating System has not been activated, we would need to restart every 2 hours so that we can keep using our computer.
But those days are over. The current version, Windows 10, whether it is a Home Version or a Professional Version available for download and is free of charge. However, Windows does require activation after the initial 30 days of free installation is completed.
In case you decide not to activate your software copy, your user experience will change. Some features will now be inaccessible and greyed out, but you would still be able to use your computer and receive updates.
Among these are personalization features such as being able to change our desktop wallpaper, lock screen, and themes. All these results lead to some discomfort, but it is a long way from what it used to be with the previous versions. We can keep using our computer and even get essential updates so that our device will continue to function correctly.
Although support for Windows 7 has already come to an end, it is still part of this article to show ways to check the authenticity of the Windows Operating System for those still using this version.
For Windows 10
Because you can install Windows 10 for free, I suppose all Windows 10 copies are genuine. Activating your copy, though, allows you to fully access all its features. There are two ways to determine if your Windows 10 is activated.
- Open the Settings app and choose to go to Update and Security.
- Once there, on the left column of the window interface, click on Activation.
- Once selected, a new selection of options will appear on the right column of the window interface.
- You will then see the status of your Windows 10 Operating System.
Alternatively, there is another easy way to check whether Windows 10 is activated or not.
- Begin by opening the Settings app.
- Once opened, there will be a text displayed at the bottom part of the interface.
- If it said, “Windows isn‘t Activated. Activate Windows now,” surely your Windows 10 has not been activated.
- You will need to purchase a product key from Microsoft.
Softvire says you can also check the validity of your Windows 10 using free PID checker tools. PID tools check the validity of your product key or activate your Windows 10 properly. The reason you need to confirm the product key’s authenticity is to make sure others don’t use it as a crack code.
For Windows 8.1
Here are the steps you can follow for the Windows 8.1 version:
- First, open the PC Settings.
- When the first thing you see on the list is PC and Devices, your Windows 8.1 has a genuine license
- If it is activated, then it‘s a Genuine product.
- If you see “Activate Windows” as the first option in the list, then your Windows has not been activated. It may be a Genuine copy that is just needing an official serial key to enable it.
For Windows 7
Here are the steps you can follow for Windows 7 version:
- Click Start and type “Activate Windows” in the search box.
- Click on “Activate Windows.”
- If the message “Activation was successful” is written, then your copy of Windows 7 is Genuine.
- This page will also include the Microsoft software logo promoting “Genuine Support.”
The Verge mentions that “Windows 10 held 39.22 percent of desktop OS market share in December 2018, compared to 36.9 percent for Windows 7. It’s a statistic that’s taken Microsoft three and a half years to achieve… It demonstrates just how popular Windows 7 has been since its release nearly ten years ago.”
For Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 through the Control Panel
This method works for modern versions of Windows, such as 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
- Begin by opening the Control Panel.
- From here, go to Systems and Security and choose to click System.
- From the System section, you will see important information regarding your computer.
- In this same window interface, scroll down until you find the “Windows Activation” section.
When you use Windows 8.1 and 10, you will see whether Windows has a license or not underneath your Product ID. It is the same for Windows 7, but on the right side of these text messages is the “Genuine Microsoft Support” software logo.
For Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 through the Command Prompt
This method works for modern versions of Windows, such as 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. It’s also the best method to check whether your Windows version is Genuine and activated.
- First of all, open Command Prompt or Power Shell.
- From this window, type slmgr/xpr.
- Once you press enter, this command will open the Windows Script Host.
- This window will inform you about the status of the license of your Windows OS. It will state whether your OS is permanently active or not.
- On your keyboard, click the Windows logo and letter “R” to open the Run dialog box.
- At the Run dialog box, type slmgr.vbs/dli. This command will open the Windows Script Host and will show whether your Windows has a license key or not. It will also show how much time the license period has left.
- A Windows is a Volume-type version will show the company volume license
- If the window only contains the license status, the partial key, and no deadline for the license, most likely, your Windows OS is genuine.
At the initial installation of a Genuine Windows Operating System or a cracked version of it, there is not much of a difference. It is when you look at the integrity of your file system after some time that you realize the difference between a Genuine one and a cracked one.
You will need to modify a cracked OS so it can work on a computer without going through Microsoft’s product activation system. The alteration will make the cracked version appear as if it had passed the activation process.
Usually, a cracked version will have malware and spyware. This is something you must avoid. You need to secure your website from hackers at all costs.
If hackers can get in, they can gather data from the computer and accounts without you even noticing. A Genuine Windows Operating System will provide security updates to resolve such risks.
Use Genuine Windows OS to install a Genuine Windows OS now. You can also buy a new device with Genuine Windows OS installed.