SEO has developed so much the past couple of years, following Google Algorithm updates, performing a technical SEO audit now becomes more critical than ever.
For ultimate online success, it’s vital to maximize SEO efforts unless you want your website to be left behind by your competitors.
SEO Audit on your site gives you a considerable boost in terms of rankings, driving traffic, and improving the site’s usability.
In this article, I will share the best Search Engine Optimization Audit Software that I used to perform technical SEO Audit. I also try to incorporate the steps of performing a technical SEO Audit by using SEO software, which will eventually help you to fix any technical issues that your website might have.
But first, Let’s learn some necessary details about SEO Audit.
What is the Technical SEO Audit?
Technical SEO Audit is the process of optimising your site and making it more efficient to crawl and index. It allows Google to understand the primary purpose of your website quickly and can deliver the right content to the right user at the right time. It involves a set of steps for thoroughly checking the site’s overall health and finding out all the underlying issues that are lagging your website’s rankings.
Why should I perform a Technical SEO Audit?
Just like you get frequent checkups to remain physically healthy, your website also needs routine checkups to perform optimally.
Technical SEO Audit helps to find out the following factors of your website’s:
- Overall traffic analysis of your site
- Insights about page speed and bounce rate
- Analysis of redirect issues
- Find out the broken and spammy links
- Find out keyword cannibalization issues, and the like
Performing regular site auditing also allows search engine bots to crawl your pages. These bots determine the relation of your content with the user search intent so Google can properly rank your website on its Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
SEO changes frequently, and so does Google’s ranking algorithm. It’s crucial to perform a regular SEO Audit for your site to remain up-to-date despite these frequent changes. If you lag on auditing, there is a risk of losing valuable traffic to your competitors.
List of best SEO Software for website auditing
There are so many amazing website auditing tools out there that can help you to improve your online presence, get higher rankings, gain more leads and conversion rates, and bring more profit in the long run. By using these tools, you may find out more hidden issues that can lead you down to the whole bunch of other tools to fix them.
The top listed SEO Software are:
- SE Ranking
- Advanced Web Ranking
- SEO Audit Software
- Moz: SEO Software
- Report Garden
- Agency Analytics
Among all these names here, I will talk about only one SEO software, which helps me most in terms of delivering the right technical SEO Audit support. “SEO Audit Software” is the most useful tool to spot out all the loopholes and made necessary changes in the site.
Using this SEO site audit tool for conducting a technical audit on the website is quite easy.
How SEO Audit Software helps in performing SEO Audit?
- First, you have to sign up for the free trial account using your Gmail account. No need for userID or password for sign up. After signing up, you will get 14 days free chance to use this software. After 14 days, you have to subscribe to any of the paid features to keep this software running on your system.
- Now the sign up is done, you can run a technical audit on your website from the dashboard of this software.
Source: SEO Audit Software: Website Audit Dashboard
It requires you to type your website URL and most crucial keyword, and after inserting the information, this software will start analyzing your website. Within a minute (only take 20 seconds), a comprehensive technical analysis report of your website will be ready for you to review.
Analysis report consists of the most critical issues of your website that it is currently facing, and along with it, you will get some fantastic recommendations to fix those issues.
It analyzes your website based on the following sections:
- Scan Landing page URL
Here you’ll get to know whether your website URL is optimized enough for better rankings or not. You will get some essential suggestions to make the URL SEO friendly.
- Start the URL with an exact keyword.
- Don’t put an underscore in the URL.
- Use hyphens to separate words in the URLs.
- Only use lowercase letters in the URL.
- Keep the URL in the right length. The advisable limit is within 50-60 characters.
- Overall Site score
The website score determines how well your site is optimised for higher rankings on the SERPS (Search Engine Result Page). This software helps you to know about your website SEO score and provides some valuable vital metrics to keep you updated about your site SEO on a general level. Those key metrics are:
- Your website’s overall ranking signal: It determines how well your website copes up with Google’s ranking factors and the site position in the search engine
- Your website’s page Grade in terms of performance, security and mobile readiness
- Google Page Speed and the number of files requests your site is receiving
- Google page speed helps you to identify how fast your website content is loading.
- Check the site load time
Your site’s load time is another important technical SEO metric to check. As now, Google recently rolled out for mobile-first indexing, and that means your website should give the same experience on all the devices, be it desktop, mobile, or tablet. A site loading time shouldn’t be more than 3 seconds. Increasing loading time means less chance for better rankings.
SEO software examines whether your site implements the mobile-friendly design or not and shows the average loading time of your website.
This software provides some valuable insights for making the site mobile-friendly and decreasing the loading time.
- Increase the font size of your content
- Embed YouTube videos on the site
- Compress image size
- Implement Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP): This helps to speed up the loading process of the webpage on mobile devices. By implementing it, you can accelerate the site speed and lower the chances of a bounce rate.
- Analyze title tag and meta description:
The title tag is the headlines of your website that display in the search engines, and meta descriptions are the small description that shows beneath the title. It’s essential to make the title and meta tag SEO -friendly for maximum usability and more ranking possibility in the search engines.
With the help of the SEO Audit Software, you’ll be able to identify all the mistakes of your title and meta from the SEO perspective.
- Keep your title and meta tag in the right length. Optimal title length is 50-60 characters and for meta tag keep it within 150-160 characters
- Use the exact keywords and put the important ones in the beginning. But don’t overdo it.
- Header tags:
Header tags are mainly the headlines of your webpages. It’s part of the HTML coding of your site. Maintaining SEO rules in the header tags are equally important, like other things. SEO software will analyze your header tags and give you a comprehensive report of all the header tags used on your website.
- Use keywords in Header tags
- Keep the header tags consistent throughout the webpage
- Make them concise and interesting
- Image Name and Alt tag
Every image of your web pages should have a name, and without a name, Google will be unable to read it. The alt tags of the image describe the purpose of the image and its relevance to the page. SEO software gives you a comprehensive list of all the Images of your site along with their Alt text. Now you can easily find out which image misses the Alt tags. This software also helps with some valuable suggestions.
- Use Alt tags for your images
- Use exact keywords in the Alt text
- Customize the image file name relevant to the page and include keywords in it (It gives valuable information to the search engine about the images you use)
- Use the right image file type (There are three different file types: JPG, PNG, and GIF. For SEO it is advisable to use PNG format)
- Content Audit and Keyword Cannibalisation
Another critical reason to audit your site is for the keywords. Keyword cannibalization confuses the search engines. If two pages contain the same keywords, Google only ranks that page, which seems more relevant. Such a repetition of keywords can lead to blocking your websites forever. SEO software will help you to detect the keyword cannibalization problem and eliminate the issues of duplication from your content.
- Check for broken links
A broken link or dead link is harmful to your website’s health. A link that no longer works but still exists is dangerous for SEO as it causes 404 errors, which leads to bad user experience.
SEO Audit software crawls every single page to find all the broken and spammy links and give you a comprehensive crawl report of those links. This software helps you to remove those links from your site and rectify your site’s usability.
- Examine sites Robot.txt file issues:
Robots.txt file, also known as robot exclusion protocol, tells Google which page to crawl from your site and which one not.
If you notice that Google does not index any of your web pages, it’s time to check your robots.txt file. Because the possibility is you may accidentally block pages from search engine crawling.
SEO Audit Software runs an audit of your robots.txt file to identify the issues and give you a complete overview report. It also checks for the “Disallow: /” signal in the data. This signal blocks pages from crawling, so it’s the critical stuff you should look for.
- Scan HTTP requests:
An HTTP request is used for structure requests and responses over the internet. A great number of HTTP requests by your web pages slow down the page load speed of the site. So to reduce that amount, SEO Audit software finds out the total number of HTTP requests your site is currently making and determines the file numbers and size. With that information, now will get the idea of what to do next to reduce the file size, improve user experience, and reduce the bounce rate.
The comprehensive report you will get after auditing your site looks something like this:
Source: SEO Audit Software: Sample Audit Report
You can download the PDF version of it and send it to your clients. This tool allows you to customize the report with a branded logo, colour, and elements. The white label support of this software is entirely free for 14 days, and after 14 days, you can generate a free non-branded report with limited access.
And that’s how you can do a technical SEO audit by using an SEO Software. This tool is excellent at finding details of your website. The technical issues may seem daunting at first, but after you have done your first audit, you’ll be surprised by what improvements it makes to your website. Most importantly, performing a website audit on this software is entirely free, so get started!