Microsoft Office 365 vs Office 2019: What to Use in 2019?Donna Marie Padua
Sure, both Office 365 and Office 2019 are Microsoft Office’s latest offerings but only one of them truly won the favor of the tech giant. So why build both? Who won the company’s flagship tag? What should you really avail? All these will be answered here in this Microsoft Office 365 vs Office 2019 review.
It’s clear that Microsoft’s focus this 2019 is its Office 365, which is a cloud subscription service. They seemingly want to transition their customers who are still using Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 to Office 365.
In its latest effort to illustrate what Office 2019 users could be missing, Microsoft released three Youtube clips last February where it challenged three pairs of twins to compete against each other using Office 365 and Office 2019. From these videos, you’d quickly realize what Microsoft is hinting – that Office 365 is far better than Office 2019.
On the first video, the first pair had to do identical tasks with one using the Microsoft Office 365 version while the other uses the Office 2019 version. You would see the Office 2019 user struggling to edit and share his CV, while his brother breezes through the process on Office 365.
Similar clips were published for the Excel and PowerPoint apps. Obviously, one of the twins is having a much easier time than the other. Completely staged, of course, but you get the idea.
Microsoft was seemingly reluctant to release Office 2019 but it has to do so either way. When it release this Microsoft Office version last September 2018, the company said they only made it for the sake of their “customers who aren’t yet ready for the cloud.”
Microsoft said in a statement:
“While the cloud offers real benefits in productivity, security, and total cost of ownership, we recognize that each customer is at a different point in their adoption of cloud services. We see the on-premises version of Office as an important part of our commitment to give customers the flexibility they need to move to the cloud at their own pace.”
The firm believes the cloud-connected features and more regular updates offer the best overall package for Microsoft Office users. However, the Office 365 plans costs at least $69.99 per year, while the one-time, lifetime purchase of Office 2019 can be nabbed at $149.99 and can be serviceable for years.
Now let’s look at how these two differ.
Office 365 is a subscription-based service that gives you access to all Microsoft Office applications. The difference is that Office 365 is cloud-based and its services are available on a monthly or annual basis.
This Office platform has many different subscription plans meant for home users, small and medium-sized businesses, large enterprises, schools, and non-profit organizations. You will see traditional applications too inside the server like Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. You can install them on your computer or you can just access them online. The choice relies on your preference.
What is important to note is that Office 365 offers a wide range of other web-based apps and services like Team, Stream, Yammer, Sway, etc. that are very useful in this generation’s output demands.
All Office 365 plans include up to 1TB of cloud storage, Office Online apps, Office mobile apps, continuous updates to new features, security fixes, and ongoing tech support.
- You don’t have to pay huge upfront fee.
- Each user can install Office 365 on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets and 5 mobile devices.
- You get to enjoy numerous cloud-based tools that enable a new way of working, online and mobile Office apps and continuous updates with new innovative functionality.
What is Microsoft Office 2019?
Microsoft Office 2019 is the latest version of the “traditional” Office suite, succeeding 2016. As you know, this is sold as a one-time, perpetual product and is available for both PC or Mac and it is yours to keep forever.
In Microsoft Office 2019, you’ll have the traditional apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, which are valid for home or business use. However, the downside could be the unavailability of upgrade options so when the next version comes out, you’ll have to buy it at full price. Users can still receive frequent stability and security updates, though, as well as Microsoft’s 5 years of mainstream support for all of its software.
- Buying Office 2019 is a more affordable option and it’s already yours forever.
- If you are using Office 2019 for business, you don’t have to worry about continuously training your employees on new functionality since no feature updates are provided
Office 365 vs Office 2019
- The first and most obvious difference is the payment model. You buy Office 2019 while you subscribe to Office 365. When you buy Microsoft Office one time, everything you got from that package will be all you have to enjoy unless you buy a new version. When you subscribe to cloud, you can enjoy all the latest technologies automatically without having to spend extra. But the bad thing, maybe, is the monthly subscription to the cloud services.
- The second difference is in the products and services you get access to. Office 2019 will present you with unchanging apps but Office 365 includes so many more applications and services that updates automatically and consistently. Another advantage of cloud is you can use the services not just on one PC or Mac but on pretty much any device you want.
- The third is in the update frequency and functionality. Like I mentioned, updates come to Office 365 automatically and consistently. Updates can be as frequent as every month.
So which one should you choose?
It’s very clear that Microsoft wants you to pick Office 365. But like any purchasing decision you make, you need to look at your own situation to know which will work best for you.
Things are constantly changing in the world we live in today, most especially when technology is involved. Cloud is becoming the new go-to of most software for hassle-free operation. If you come to think of it, both Microsoft and its users won’t have to go through the grueling task of having to buy new software every time an update becomes available. Same goes with fixing issues. All these become readily available on cloud.
On the other hand, price is the main advantage of Office 2019.
Your priority will dictate what you should purchase. If you already made your choice, check our Microsoft Office deals.